“There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
Food is the essential part of Travel! While travelling we always enjoy our food. It is always suggested to eat familiar food while travelling, I ask why? Why not try different cuisines of the world? Why not try Halim in Hyderabad & why not try Momos at Kolkata? Trying different foods around the corner will not only give a different taste but it will tell you their culture, their love & it’s speciality. You’ll come closer to the city. Food is one source which connects the people.
In this blog, let’s meet the food capital of India: Mumbai. Below are the most popular dishes to try in Mumbai.
1. Pav Bhaji: Dal, rice, roti & sabzi these are the main inclusions in Maharashtra’s local plate. When excessive sabzi is leftover, Pav Bhaji is invented! Pav Bhaji is one of the most popular dishes in Mumbai. Being not only tasty but healthy, this Pav Bhaji is a must try when you are in Mumbai. Butter Pav bhaji, Masala Pav Bhaji, Jain Pav Bhaji, Punjabi Pav Bhaji & Kolhapuri Pav Bhaji are different types of Pav Bhaji. The best place to enjoy Pav Bhaji is – Streets of Mumbai.
2. Misal Pav: Yes, Mumbai has ‘Pav’ in everything. Misal Pav is a semi-spicy curry with Sev on it.It is to enjoy with Pav. Onion & lemon are the toppings. Kolhapuri Misal Pav is the most popular dish. Vada Usal, Nasik Misal are two different types of Misal Pav. The best place to enjoy Misal Pav is in rural areas.
3. Vada Pav: Nobody sleeps hungry in Mumbai. It is true! Vada pav is the most affordable, spicy, stomach-filling & most loved food of Mumbai. Though you don’t see Gateway of India, it won’t be an issue but not trying Vada Pav is a sin! Fried smash potatoes in Gram flour with some magical masala’s are the Mumbai’s Vada Pav. Vada Pav is widely available throughout the Mumbai. Almost every street has at least one Vada Pav Stall. With salty semi-spicy green chilly & hot smoked tea, Mumbai’s Vada Pav is the best food you will ever try.
4. Tava Pulao: Tired of daily rice? Grab the Mumbai street. With the topping of tomatoes, butter & magical spices, Tava Pulao is ready. Enjoy the Tava Pulao with Salad & Papad. Tava Pulao will surely make your stomach happy. The best place to try Tava Pulao is near CST station or on the beaches of Mumbai.
5. Puran Poli: Enough with spicy dishes. Puran Poli is a sweet Roti \ Chapati. It is filled with Jaggery. Puran Poli is a festive dish which is mostly made in Holi festival. Trying this Puran Poli with sour curry which is known as Saar is something different.
6. Pani-Puri: There is always a battle in India with the Golgappa. Everyone praises their state’s Golgappa. In Delhi it is Golgappa, in Kolkata, it is Phuchhka, in Nagpur it is Gup-Chup & in Mumbai it’s Pan-puri. The mixture of smashed potato with spicy & sweet chutney in a hollow puri is known as Pani Puri. I have tried Golgappa at almost everywhere but no one can beat Mumbai’s Pani Puri. Mumbai surely has the best Pani Puri throughout the world. Pani Puri is widely available & can be enjoyed anywhere. Sev Puri, Dahi Puri, Bhel Puri are different types of Pani-Puri.
India is a food diversity country & Mumbai has all the cuisine of the world. You can get Hyderabadi Biryani, Darjiling Momo’s, South Indian Dosa & Rajasthani dishes in Mumbai. But do not forget to try the given list of the food.
Thanks for reading!