Nehru Zoo is also known as ‘Hyderabad Zoo’ which is named after India’s first PM Jawaharlal Nehru. This zoo is located at Mir Alam Tank which is approx. 20 km away from the main city. A must visit tourist attraction which has all kind of animals and birds for all the age group. The zoo is so big that one full day is hardly enough to explore by feet. Nehru Zoo has all kind of animals and species. The best thing about Nehru Zoo is animal enclosures. All the enclosures are close to nature, huge in size and properly maintained so that even animals can feel their habitat.
The best way to explore the Nehru Zoo is through cycling. There are other ways to explore the Zoo such as by Mini Train, Battery Operated Tram and by walk. But among these, my favourite is by Cycle. The cycle rental is very cheap. INR 20 per hour is for rental and INR 200 for a deposit which is refundable. All the cycles are in good conditions. By cycle, you can explore the zoo without getting tired.
I loved the Zoo so much that I visited it twice. The Zoo has almost all major animals and also a souvenir shop. A small museum at the entrance and aquarium too. Nehru Zoo is a perfect place for a day picnic with your friends and family. From Asiatic Lion to White Tiger and from Sloth Bears to African Elephants this Zoo will not disappoint you.
Nehru Zoo has different themes:
- Nocturnal House
- Reptile Park
What you will see at Nehru Zoo –
Asiatic Lion, African elephants, different types of snakes including Python, Monitor Lizards, White Tiger, Royal Bengal Tiger, Sloth Bear, Giant Tortoise, White Peacock, Different kind of monkeys, Prairie dog and much more.
Unknown and interesting facts about Nehru Zoo:
- Nehru Zoo is India’s first zoo which started Jungle Safari and Nocturnal House.
- All the animals and birds are placed in their biological order.
- If you are scared to dark, avoid visiting the Nocturnal house as this zone has complete blackness.
- Mir Alam Tank is historical water tank which was used in ancient time. You can see this lake from inside the zoo also. Beware! This lake has crocodiles.
- In May 2016, drunk men from Rajasthan fell inside the cage of Lion and Zookeeper rescued him.
- In 2005, Tiger escaped from his enclosure however, management succeeded rescuing him.
Keep enough time to visit Nehru Zoo as it will appeal you to explore more and more. It will never disappoint you.
- Cleanliness: 9/10
- Budget: 9/10
- Suitable for: All
- Food: 8/10
- Shopping: 5/10
- Overall: 9/10
WATCH THIS INCREDIBLE VIDEO IN WHICH LION HUNTS A BIRD LIVE!! It was shot by me.